Every spring we diligently label our plants and vow to keep better track of what’s growing where. But soon enough the writing has washed off, been bleached by the sun, or the whole marker has disappeared in the exuberant plant growth. We’ve tried using commercial plastic markers with pencil or marker pen; and last year we cut tags from plastic bottles and yoghurt tubs. Nothing has really worked very well.
A recent discussion on permies.com inspired me to try my hand at creating wood-burned labels. We have a stack of cedar shakes sitting in the basement; and my puny little soldering iron did a pretty good job.